1854 Access. The ultimate career toolkit for photographers.
Get inspired with unlimited access to British Journal of Photography. Get seen with free, year-round entry to some of the industry’s most prestigious awards. Get paid to create meaningful work for major brands.
“Every photographer wants to be a part of this”
Harry Hall, Portrait of Britain 2019 Winner
Frequently Asked Questions
What is 1854 Access?
1854 Access is a platform created to help aspiring and established photographers succeed. It is an affordable fixed-price package incorporating everything 1854 has to offer, including all the latest digital and archive content from British Journal of Photography, free entry to all six of our career-changing awards, and priority application to all of our paid commission opportunities. Full Access Membership also includes British Journal of Photography in print; 1,080 carefully curated, beautifully bound pages of the best in contemporary photography delivered to your door as six bimonthly limited edition, ad-free photobooks.
Can I cancel my subscription?
Yes, you can cancel your subscription at any time by emailing email@example.com. You will continue to enjoy all of your subscription benefits until the end of your prepaid plan period, but your subscription will not renew once your term expires. Please note that, for your entries to be eligible, 1854 Access Members entering awards as part of their membership will be required to maintain a paid membership throughout the period when the awards are judged, up-to-and-including the date the winners are announced.
Got more questions?
Go to our full FAQs for any further information.
What free 1854 Awards entries are included with an 1854 Access Membership?
1854 Access Members get free entry to all six of 1854’s career-changing awards, and can submit up to ten images to each award, or a body of work in the case of a series category. 1854’s industry-leading awards offer the opportunity to be seen by the world’s most influential judges and industry decision-makers and be part of a global exhibition and media schedule seen by tens of millions of photography lovers. The 1854 Awards platform includes:
- Female in Focus – An award that acknowledges and celebrates talented women-identifying and non-binary photographers. Winners exhibited as part of a group show in New York.
- Portrait of Britain – An award that captures the many diverse faces of modern Britain. 100 winning images exhibited on digital screens across the UK in the country’s largest photography exhibition.
- Decade of Change – An award dedicated to using the power of photography to raise awareness and inspire positive action on the climatic crisis.
- International Photography Award – An award in search of the best in contemporary photography. Win your own career-making solo show at TJ Boulting gallery in London.
- Open Walls Arles – An opportunity for emerging and established artists to have their work exhibited at Europe’s most influential photography festival. Group show for 50+ winners at Galerie Huit Arles, France alongside Les Rencontres d’Arles.
- Portrait of HumanityTM – An award that commemorates our differences and the power of photography in breaking boundaries. 30 winning images and 3 bodies of work embark on a Global Tour, and 100 winning images exhibited digitally on Clear Channel screens internationally, seen by millions.
Please note that, for your entries to be eligible, 1854 Access Members entering awards as part of their membership will be required to maintain a paid membership throughout the period when the awards are judged, up-to-and-including the date the winners are announced.
What 1854 Commissions opportunities are included with an 1854 Access membership?
1854 Access Members get exclusive access to apply for all of 1854’s member-only commissions. Selected photographers have the opportunity to work with major brands and charities on fulfilling, purpose-driven projects that give you the creative freedom to produce new work that matters to you and the world. Recent commissions include: